Prep: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 - 50 mins
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and water.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and toasted fennel seeds.
- Stir in 2/3 of the oil and water mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is just moistened and comes together as a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead for a mixture. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, set aside for 20-30 minutes to rest at room temperature.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 1 small bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbs chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over moderate heat, add in fennel and cumin seeds and warm through until fragrant, then add the chopped fennel, ginger and garlic, sauté until translucent.
- Mix in the peas and the spices, cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mashed potato and mix through until well incorporated.
- Add fresh, chopped cilantro and mix well, season with salt.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Assembling the Lord & Lion Samosas:
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll out each portion with a rolling pin until approximately 6 inches in diameter.
- Cut in half and make a cone shape, filling with potato filling.
- Seal the edges with a little water.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 165C
- Brush the samosas with oil.
- Arrange samosas on an oven proof tray and cook for 25-30 minutes until golden brown in colour.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt and coriander chutney or our delicious Lord & Lion Bombay Chutney Mayonnaise.