Seekh Lamb & Vegetable Curry
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Maharaja Spice Box ingredients:
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp asafoetida
- 8 cardamoms, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves
- 500g lamb, cut into 3 cm chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 2-3 cm cubes
- 3 carrots, chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 50g butter, chopped
- 4-6 green bird’s eye chillies
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- 2-3 tbs of plain yoghurt (optional)
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well, ensuring the lamb is coated in the other ingredients. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for between 1 hour and 1 day.
- On a medium flame, heat some oil in a large, heavy-based pot.
- When hot, add all the marinated ingredients, stirring well. Leave in the pot for 5 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water, close the lid and let simmer for 20-30 mins, until the lamb and vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Mix in an additional dollop of plain yoghurt for extra creaminess, salt to taste, garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice and a wedge of lime.