Sambhar Lentil Masala
This South Indian lentil dish is a favourite among foodies, both vegan and not. It is oh so authentic, delicious and the perfect regular dish the entire family will love!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 - 25 mins
Serves: 4 - 6
- 3 heaped tbsp of Lord & Lion Sambhar Lentil Masala Blend
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 ½ large onions, sliced finely
- 2 cups of red lentils, washed and drained.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2 cm chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp of crushed ginger
- ½ cup of coconut milk (or other preferred milk)
- 1½ tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Fresh coriander, chopped roughly
- 2 red birds eye chillies, sliced diagonally
- In a large, heavy based pot, add the oil and sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Lord & Lion Sambhar Lentil Masala Blend and mix through.
- Add the lentils and coat with the mixture.
- Add 3½ cups of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and leave on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add ½ cup to 1 cup more water if required to achieve the right ‘wet’ consistency. Stir through.
- Garnish with the coriander and chillies. Drizzle with some plain yoghurt if you wish.
- Serve with Indian flatbreads or with rice.