- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onions.
- Add the garlic and fry for 10 seconds, then add the spices listed above from the Lankan Spice Box and coat the onions well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4 mins.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (excluding the mussels, coconut milk and lime juice), bring up to a simmer and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Add the mussels, bring the sauce to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan every 30 seconds, add the lime juice.
- Discard the unopened mussels (including the ones which do not open when sharply tapped).
- Serve over some boiled basmati rice, garnished with chillies and coriander.
Adapted from a Karan Gokani recipe and inspired by the always inspiring Emily Muraca.