Jane De Graaff’s Joyful Lentils
Serves: 4 - 6
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 Ceylon Cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala (or Sambhar Lentil Masala Blend instead)
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Pickled red onion, to serve
- Put the lentils, ginger, curry leaves and Ceylon Cinnamon in a pot and cover well with water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the lentils have soaked up the liquid.
- Remove Ceylon Cinnamon and bay/curry leaves.
- In a pan, heat the ghee and fry off the onions.
- Add garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam masala (Sambhar Lentil Masala Blend), pinch of salt and chilli, and fry until fragrant.
- Toss in the lentils and stir through.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Finish with a big squeeze of fresh lemon or lime, coriander and pickled red onions.
- Serve with rice.