Ceylon Cinnamon Scrolls
: 10 – 12 piecesPrep time + cook time
: 6 hrs Ingredients
- 3 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 cup Whole Milk, Warm
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 heaped teaspoon Instant Or Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Large Eggs (room temperature) lightly Beaten
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup melted butter for glazing
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Warm the milk slightly, should be blood temperature, (if you put your finger into it) you should feel neither cold nor hot, just right!
- In a small bowl add milk to the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add yeast and stir gently, then let sit in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the melted butter and lightly beaten eggs.
- Tip in the flour and salt, followed by the milk mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon mix till dough starts to pull together.
- At this point you can put your hand in and knead the dough till it resembles a smooth and homogeneous ball.
- Allow the dough to sit in the bowl covered and undisturbed for 2 - 3 hours or until it has double in volume.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangular shape approximately ¼ inch in thickness, brush with butter, scatter over as evenly as possible the sugar, followed by the Ceylon Cinnamon.
- Roll up the dough into a firm long sausage shape, cut roll into 1.5 inch pieces
- Place into a baking pan lined with parchment paper allowing for a ½ inch gape between each scroll. Prove for 30 minutes to an hour in a warm place (they should double in size.
- Set to cook at 175C for 25 minutes, once cooked allow to rest for 5 minutes before inverting onto a cake rack.
- Mix glaze ingredients together, if a little thick add a couple of drops of milk.
- Glaze the scrolls, by drizzling mixture over the top.